Friday, July 12, 2013

Awesome Apps Post #1


Welcome to this new series! Thanks for coming over! :) I am very excited about sharing some really great apps with you! I will include free and paid apps in every post. Let's get started!




Endless Alphabet
Price: $4.99

I actually got this app a few months ago when it was offered for free. If I didn't have it, I would be willing to pay for this app because it is GREAT for vocabulary development! It is HIGHLY engaging because it includes the cutest little monsters and great sound effects.

You start by choosing a word from the list. The list is updated periodically by the developers to include more words.

After you choose, you build the word using the provided letters and template. The letters make the FUNNIEST sounds as you drag them to their positions.

After the word is built, there is a little celebration...

...and a funny little clip that explains what the word means, followed by a kid-friendly definition.


I have used this as a free time kind of game for my first graders. I also use it with my 3-year-old at home (and on occasion by myself, because I am also entertained by it....).





Sight Words by Photo Touch
Price: FREE

We use this app in Daily 5 for Word Work. I like that you can customize the settings for your students.

The app reads a word and the student must touch the matching one.

As the students correctly match more and more words, it will add another word to the mix.

Very simple sight word practice. And it's freeeee.

Now, on to an app for the littles!





 Elmo Loves ABCs
Price: $4.99
(Lite version available for free)

This is a fantastic app for beginners for teaching all about letters (even the lite version is really good).

For each letter, there are several activities:

Trace the letters

Watch Sesame Street clips about animals or objects that begin with the letter

Coloring pages

Hidden picture game


The lite (free) version will obviously not have as much as the full app, but it does have several letters and features available that your child will still enjoy.


And there you have it until the next post! :)

12 comments:

  1. What great apps! I am excited to try out the free sight word app…I think that will be a great addition to the classroom. Thanks for sharing :)
    -Julie
    The Techie Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over, Julie! The sight word app is so simple and fun--we love to use it independently and even in small groups.

      Delete
  2. I love these, Janaye! Thanks for taking the time to put this together. Time to get to downloading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!! I struggle with knowing which apps are worth the time and $$. Thanks for putting this together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracie! I hope I can share some goo ones with you!

      Delete
  4. What great suggestions! I just downloaded the Sight Words by Photo Touch app for my future kiddos. Love this! (Makes me realize I need to be sharing my great finds too.) :)
    Shibahn
    Mrs. Landry's Land of Learning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My kids and I really enjoy the sight words app. So simple and can even be used in small groups.

      Delete
  5. Hi! I own the full price Elmo and you are right! It's fantastic! I'm your newest follower. Come follow me at justaprimarygirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thanks for coming by! I am off to visit your blog! :)

      Delete
  6. Love your reviews! I told my sister about the Elmo one for my niece and we both cant seem to find it. We've typed in Elmo ABCs and Elmo loves ABCs and can't find it. What am I doing wrong? lol
    Rebecca
    rebcanteach@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Rebecca! You may need to search under iPad apps only instead of iPhone apps as it is not available for iPhone. Hopefully, you will see it that way! :)

      Delete