Sunday, October 12, 2014

Duct Tape Number Line

I am linking up to Tara's Monday Made It!



I am a HUGE proponent of using manipulatives and hands-on activities to teach math (and other subjects) in ALL grade levels! Just because students are older does not mean that abstract thinking and understanding is automatic. Sometimes, they just need to put their hands on it in order to fully grasp it.

So today, I made a duct tape number line!
The number line is about 6 feet long. I wanted it big enough for a small group of students to all use at once. During math stations, students will choose the cards out of a baggie one at a time and then place them on a number line. To assist in the ordering process, students have access to base-ten blocks to model the numbers.

Like it? Make your own duct tape number line and use the number cards from this freebie:

Enjoy!!

5 comments:

  1. I was looking for more math ideas for fall and I saw number line on your blog. Your picture of a duct tape line certainly wasn't what I thought it would look like...no gray at all. Big enough for all to get involved in and colorful! The other idea I found today was pumpkin math on a sheet at http://monthbymonth.scholastic.com/teach.html so I'm all set for a couple of weeks. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. Thanks for sharing.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea! Thank you for sharing...also I love your blog name - I have a frog themed classroom :)

    Katie
    Living the First Grade Dream

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found another use for duct tape, and when I saw your number line idea I thought of it also. My kids think they are big when they use the spiral notebooks, but they are forever damaging the ends and having the spiral wire poking them. If you use duct or masking take on the spine it really cuts down on the problem. I got this from monthbymonth.scholastic.com in their Organize section.

    ReplyDelete