Monday, July 23, 2012

My Teacher Story Linky Party! :)

We all come to the classroom with a story. Some are similar to others while some are very distinctive. What's YOUR teacher story? How did you get to the classroom? Has it always been a lifelong dream or did you come after being in another profession?

Mine is actually quite boring (which is why I am probably so interested in hearing yours!). So, here goes...

I wasn't one of those college students who came in and already knew that I wanted to be a teacher and had always dreamed of being a teacher. In fact, before I chose that major, the thought never really crossed my mind! I will say that I have always been a fast learner that LOVES to learn and has always LOVED school. I was identified as GT in 2nd grade and subsequently started going to a GT school. That made a huge impact on me. I had Mrs. Rasmussen, the most WONDERFUL teacher that made learning fun in an entirely different way than I had experienced before! She was also the one who introduced me to my favorite book series EVER, Sideways Stories from Wayside School by Louis Sachar (the Holes guy).

I played school at home all the time simply because I LOVED being in school. I made up assignments (on the computer and printed them out, haha), kept a lesson plan book, grading book and even used a grading scale! I even remember the day (in 3rd grade) that I discovered just how my teachers calculated grades. And no, I didn't happen to find an EZ-Grader! ;) I realized a pattern in the total number of problems and the actual grade on the paper and was able to make my own grading scale. That TOTALLY revolutionized my fake teaching!! Anyway, let's fast forward to college...

I entered college as a psychology major which, to me, ended up being boooooooring. There were no rainbows involved and nobody appreciated my colorful notes and doodles--I just had to look up a different major! I went through the entire course catalog back and forth, back and forth, almost settling on chemistry (that was my favorite subject in high school). I ended up flipping through the education section of the course catalog again and stopped to make a mock degree plan. As I did that I became more excited about it and decided to go for it! I switched at the end of my freshman year, just in time for summer school (I took summer school classes every year of high school and college not because I needed to but because I, again, loved school!). When it came time for me to plan my first lesson, I did it with ease. Executing my first lesson was easy as well. It felt innate--I knew that I had made the right decision.

And the rest, as they say, is history!!

Here I am, 6 years later and I still know it's the right place for me! That's my story!! :)

Your turn--please link up and share your story! (Also, don't forget about my giveaway!!)



9 comments:

  1. Such a fun linky! Can't wait to join up! =)

    Ms. Smith
    Adventures of Ms. Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the early morning inspiration!!

    www.missthirdgrade.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I switched my major from nursing to teaching and didn't look back! I knew teaching was in my heart :)

    Sarah
    teachingiscolorful.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say that this was the first linky party ive ever joined! Thanks for the opportunity to do so and for a great topic to post about. I enjoyed it!!
    Shibahn
    www.landoflearning.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad I discovered your blog! This is a great idea for a linky-I've enjoyed reading about everyone's journeys!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am your newest follower!


    Mallory

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by, ladies!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janaye! I just linked up a post I wrote with a crazy story about how I became a teacher and my first year of teaching. This is my first linky party ever! Amber@ The Teacher Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found this linky party! So glad to see it is still open. I'm going to "schedule" this one for my blog in the next week or so. Thank you!

    being-ladylike.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete