Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Trick or Treat Math Bulletin Board


I am alllll about the interactive bulletin boards this year! My student teacher and I came up with this one. We have done a few "how many ways can you make this number" activities so far this year. We decided to take the concept and put in on a bulletin board. Each treat bag on the board has a number underneath it. All of the "candy" in one bag shows a number sentence for the corresponding number. The number sentence can be as simple or as complex as the student wishes. For instance, if he/she chose 89, the sentence could be 80 + 9 = 89 OR it could be 100 - 20 + 9 = 89 OR it could be 40 x 2 + 9 = 89. The possibilities are endless!!! I challenge them to come up with a sentence that includes multiple operations  and more than 2 or 3 steps.

Here are two student work samples:

Below you will find the instructions, part of the title (I used bulletin board letters for "Trick or Treat") and the treats I included on my board--feel free to grab the doc! I used real Halloween treat bags from Wal-Mart to hold the "goodies" in.


3 comments:

  1. Love your blog and your bulletin board! I teach middle school and miss the cutesy holiday decor from my days in elementary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I think I might just "steal" this...
    Beth
    Thinking of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cute for my students.

    Hello there following you on Monday blog hop.. have you added you to my blogroll hope you could also return the favor. Have a great day.
    Here are my url:
    http://www.traveltomydreams.com/
    http://singlemotheronthego.blogspot.com/
    http://freethoughts.info/

    I will be checking back and hop to the other blogs to say Hi as well.
    See yeahh

    ReplyDelete