Sunday, February 17, 2013

Money, Money, MONEY! Part 1 of 3

For the past two weeks we have been studying MONEY!

This has been a favorite unit so far because the activity possibilities are ENDLESS! We crammed a lot into our two weeks of instruction, ending it just last Friday.

We started out with an exploration activity, of course. I gave everyone a cup of money and a recording sheet. They studied each coin and made observations about them. Some of them even sorted the coins and some even counted the coins! I could see how much they knew right away just from observing them completing this activity:




After about 10 minutes of exploration time, we made an anchor chart that included each type of coin and its characteristics. Please do not be distracted by the ugly handwriting. I am not proud of its appearance but the kids appreciate it!:



To close the day's lesson, the students completed the last two boxes on the back of the recording sheet:



I took the responses from the last box and compiled a class list of questions for us to answer throughout the unit:


We have been answering 1-2 questions per day.

AND this fun money song has been part of our daily math routine! It has been stuck in my head for two weeks now, but the kids love it (especially the background singer!):




You can snag a FREE copy of the above recording sheet by visiting either one of my shops!!


Also, stayed tuned for Money, Money, Money! Part 2 and Money, Money, Money! Part 3. I will share even more about what we have been doing AND will be launching/giving a few of these away:





3 comments:

  1. I listened to that song ONCE. It's already stuck in my head. I am definitely printing off a copy to share the ear-worm with my youngest - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, it is a VERY catchy tune!! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter and I listen to that same money tune! It is very catchy - unfortunately I catch myself singing it randomly throughout the day. I have to remember to come back and download your freebie. Thank you for offering it.

    ReplyDelete