Saturday, March 26, 2011

"Hands-On" Learning!

Looks like math class is going to be fun today!! (Hello--when is math class NOT fun?!?) ;)

Taking a "hands-on" approach to transformations!

Translations, Rotations, and Reflections!
(Sorry for the awful name cover-up job! :D )


  1. I'm so glad I found another upper elem. blog!! I love your site. I have a co-worker that is frog crazy. I'll have to direct her to you. I teach third grade now and maybe fourth next year.
    Hop on over and see me some time. Ha

    Thoughts of a Third Grade Teacher

  2. I agree with Julie! I teach ELL 4th and 5th and there aren't too many upper-grader bloggers out there. I love your ideas above, I am definitely going to try this with my class when we get to that unit. Thanks so much!

    Ladybug's Teacher Files


    I'm looking for more upper elementary participants in our Math Monday Blog Hop. New one tomorrow. Hope you join in!!!

    :) Cindy

  4. I love this idea! When I first saw the picture of foam mats I thought -- ohhh quiet mats. We use the foam mats in our math centers. Since many of the math manips we use are plastic it makes a lot of noise on the desks/tables. When they use them on the foam mat it makes a lot of difference. Thanks for the ideas!
    Primary Connections

  5. What a great idea for them to use their hands!!! I did somehthing similar to this but I cut out over 500 little die cuts to give to the kids. When I saw your hands, I litterally said out loud "Why didnt I think of that!?!?!"

    I have a little rhyme for translation, reflection and rotation.

    It goes like this:

    Tran-sl-sl-sl-slation means to sl-sl-sl-slide.

    Re-fl-fl-fl-flection menas to fl-fl-fl-flip/

    Ro-t-t-t-tation means to t-t-t-turn.

    We would sing them all the time and the kids really knew which one was which.

    Love your site!

  6. I can't tell you how many ideas I've seen where I'm like, "Why didn't I think of that?!" I could be a millionaire by now!!

    Thanks for sharing your song!! I LOVE to incorporate music into math; the kids not only enjoy it but REMEMBER the concepts.

  7. Thank you for the great Transformation IDEA! I am going to use it this week! I am new to blogger! It's amazing! Stop by my blog if interested in integrating technology!